The Pillow Top Tower

Just in case you haven’t realized, I am a bit obsessive. I know, hard to believe but true.
About a year ago I decided that I was going to buy a new bed. I wanted to upgrade from the double that I hade been sleeping on for far too long to an “adult” bed – I wanted to get a queen size bed. I had just gotten new living room furniture a few months before so I decided that I would wait a while before getting the new bed but I started planning for the new bed. I looked at mattresses, bed frames, head and foot boards and anything else that I thought would be needed for a new bed. What I really started to get into was sheet sets. Oh, how I love shopping and looking at new sheet sets for my new queen bed. Imagining what the new sheets will look like on the bed. What blankets would match them. It was like a whole new adventure but some adventures are just too much. Let me explain what I mean…..
It all started with a Bed-in-a-Bag set that I found at Garden Ridge. I had decided a long time ago that I wanted to have a bedding set that had moons and stars on it. There were many that I found but only 1 really grabbed me. I searched for it, from store to store, on the internet, ebay and anywhere else that I thought I might find it but I had no luck so I had given up on it until that fateful day at Garden Ridge. I was shopping with my Mom and there were hundreds and hundreds of Bed-in-a-Bag sets along the back wall of the store that were on sale. I looked and looked but nothing until out of the corner of my eye I saw a set that was dark blue with gold designs on it. I pulled it from the stack and - OH JOY OF JOYS – it was the set that I had dreamed of having. And on top of my joy of simply finding it, IT WAS ON SALE!! $29.99 for the set!!!! I screamed at the top of my lungs, grabbed it, yanked it off of the shelf and hugged it like there was no tomorrow. My Mom came flying around the corner, probably thought I was being attacked by some stock clerks or deranged shoppers, to make sure I was OK. I looked at her with a small tear in the corner of my eye and told her that I found it, the bedspread of my dreams, it was here and it was MINE!! In that moment, if I could have handcuffed it to my arm, I would have just to be sure that I didn’t loose it but, instead, I put it in the basket and skipped away from the bedding department. (Take a minute and get the visual of a Fat Chick pushing a basket and skipping thru Garden Ridge like a 5 year old school girl as she giggled with delight. I bet you can’t decide if it is a scary thought or hysterical.)
Anyway, this one incident started a chain of events that had several of my friends and family thinking I was completely insane.
Over the next few months, whenever I went shopping I would make a B-line to the bedding department and look at sheet sets for a Queen bed. First, it was a light tan sheet set at Wal-Mart that was on sale for $11. You can’t pass that up, so I didn’t! Then it was a set blue paisley set that I just had to have because I love paisley and blue is the perfect color for a bedroom. I also found these amazingly soft microplush blankets on sale at Wal-Mart for $22. I couldn’t decide between the dark blue and the aqua blue so I didn’t and got both. Then it was a set of gray plaid flannel sheets that were on sale at Target for $19. Then there was a set of Sage green jersey sheets on sale at Target – I love Jersey Sheets, so comfy! Then there was the burgundy and blue stripped set that were priced wrong at Wal-Mart but they gave them to me at the wrong price since they made the mistake. That same day I found an amazing Bed-in-a-Bag set that was blue and green plaid, two of my favorite colors together – Had to have it!! Then there was the aqua paisley set that we found at Big Lots that were only $13 for a $70 set of sheets. Then there was the brown microplush blanket at Target that was on sale day after Thanksgiving that I got for Mom for Christmas, it was so cheap that I had to get one for me too but then I had to find a set of sheets that would match it. Then I found this great set of Jersey sheets at Target on sale, pink with butterflies, that I bought but then I remembered that I really don’t like pink so I gave them to my friend for Christmas – Merry Christmas Nursey! Then, while shopping for Christmas presents online, I found a set of leopard print Jersey sheets at Walmart.com that were only $15 – THEY MATCHED THE BROWN BLANKET!! Then there was the buy one get one sale at Kohl’s so I got a set with a Blue and Green design and a set with a Gray and Black design. At this point, I realized that I had all of these sheet sets for a queen size bed AND I WAS STILL SLEEPING IN A DOUBLE! I could open my own bedding store for Queen size beds but I didn’t have one of my own. What the heck was wrong with me? I decided that this was a good time to stop buying bedding, at least until I got my new queen size bed. I put all of the sheets and Bed-in-a-Bag sets in my living room closet (because my linen closet wasn’t big enough to hold them all and to hold the sheets I had for my double at the same time) and just stop. I have avoided bedding stores and departments for at least 4 or 5 months now. Been pretty proud of myself, too.
Until Now…… I finally got my Queen size bed this past weekend. You can only imagine the joy that I felt when I realized that I could FINALLY take all of those bedding sets out of my closet. If changing the bedding several times a day weren’t such a pain in the butt, I would do it!!
Now for my next bedding dilemma……
My step-dad set up the bed in my room and I was sooooo excited to see that nice, big bed there for me. I ran into my room and couldn’t wait to get into my new bed but there was a small problem – I NEEDED A LADDER TO GET INTO THE BED!! I got a great deal on a “luxury” pillow top mattress and box spring set that I couldn’t pass up. Little did I realize that “luxury” meant bed for the Jolly Green Giant! The first time I got into the bed, I pretty much had to run and jump into the bed. (Take a moment to get that visual……… now stop laughing!) After 3 or 4 attempts to get into the bed, I realized that if I swing one of my legs up onto the bed, I could pull myself up and get into bed somewhat comfortably. This was great until my 3am bathroom run. Forgetting that I was sleeping in my new Pillow Top tower, I fell out of bed and hit my head on my bedside table when I couldn’t reach the floor. Then came the task of getting back into bed after my bathroom run. I was pretty much still asleep and could not easily get back into bed so I kinda threw myself onto the bed and crawled on my elbows back up to my pillows and went back to sleep. The next morning was another challenge when I woke up. In my efforts to get out of bed safely, I slid off of the bed right onto the floor. At this point, I couldn’t help but wonder why the heck I wanted to get this new bed in the first place but later in the afternoon, I climbed up my ladder into my Pillow Top Tower and remembered why – this bed is so comfy, I just love it. I’ve gotten much better at getting in and out of bed. I haven’t fallen out of bed or fallen trying to get into bed in about 3 days.
And I think it is time for me to change sheets again. My dilemma now is deciding what sheets I will put on the bed next. Decisions, decisions.

1 comments:

Thiz Bad Princezz... said...

You are too funny. lol I've heard of people being addicted to a lot of things, but never sheet sets. At least you now have a bed to put all those sheets on!