Overweight...... Fat...... whatever!

I was exchanging emails with a new SP (SparkPeople) “Done Sistah” and we had an interesting exchange. I have always felt this way but had not had anyone share my “twisted” view. I am sure that we can’t be the only ones….. and if we are, it is time to open some eyes to The Fat Chick’s way of thinking!

I’ve noticed that sometimes people will refer to me as “overweight” and not “fat” as though “fat” is a dirty word. Like calling me fat is going to cause me to run to my room, slam my door and cry myself to sleep but saying I’m overweight will make me giggle with glee!
Or, better yet, like I don’t realize I’m fat. Can you see it: having dinner with a friend and they make a reference to my being “overweight” and me having a total and complete meltdown because of it! “What are you saying? Overweight? What do you mean by that? You don’t mean that I am….. I don’t know if I can bring myself to say it…. FAT!? How can you say that? I may be a little chubby but that is not FAT! If that is how you see me, well, I don’t think I can be around you! Goodbye!” and storm out of the restaurant crying with my dessert in hand! (I’m an emotional eater!!)
And why should Suzy SkinnyPants get all defensive when I refer to myself as fat? I know what I am and I don’t need anyone else defending me for it, especially someone who needs to have a double cheeseburger, 4 slices of pizza and a milkshake shoved down their throat! And then they say the most ridiculous thing…. Are you ready for it?? “You aren’t fat, you’re overweight.” WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE? Fat is overweight, overweight is fat! Let’s see what the dictionary has to say, shall we??

According to dictionary.com:
Fat: having too much flabby tissue; corpulent; obese.

Overweight: weighing too much or more than is considered normal, proper, etc.

Now, call me crazy but those 2 definitions seem to be very similar (Well, the Overweight one is a little special but I will get into that in just a few) so why do thin/skinny/underweight people feel like it is a bad thing to let someone call themselves fat? Seems to me that if I want to call myself fat, heffer, or even Tubo the Wonder Whale, that is my right!

Now, onto the definition of OVERWEIGHT….. OVERweight, UNDERweight….. What is this WEIGHT? What is NORMAL or PROPER? And who was made judge and jury of that determination? Was there an election somewhere that I wasn’t told about? I want in on that – Let me decide!! You can look on the internet and probably find 20 different definitions for what is a “normal” weight, so which one is right? You can bet that all of them were decided on by some male doctor who is probably 10-20 lbs overweight so I guess his judgment is a bit impaired! We live in a society that has women believing that Kate Moss is a NORMAL weight and if you don’t look like Angelina Jolie, you just aren’t beautiful. Well, I beg to differ. In my new adventures in SparkVille, I have come across so many amazingly beautiful women, both inside and out! Women who are supportive of each other and make a true effort to lift each other up instead of tear each other down. In my most humble opinion, that is truly beautiful.

1 comments:

Thiz Bad Princezz... said...

You know what's worse? When Suzy SkinnyPants, upon saying you're fat, says " You're not fat, you're skinny. I'm the one who is fat!" and she's the size of your arm. Yeah. You know they are totally looking for some complements about how they're soooo skinny. I just agree with them.

I'm so glad you blogged about our convo. I've been thinking about it lately, and you're right, who the eff decides what is the proper weight? And does this weight apply to everyone? Because I would think that "overweight" would emply that there is 1 weight that we're all supposed to be. That ain't right! OK, I'm done ranting. LOL

See ya over at SP!

Melanni