Darn that Easter Bunny!!

As I am sure EVERYONE knows, Sunday was Easter. That one day a year where bunnies run rampant, colored chicks peck the day away and baskets full of candy are every kids dream.

As usual, I spent the weekend at my Mom’s. I gave my girls little baskets of chicken nuggets. (What? Chicken Nuggets, Chicken Eggs – its all the same.)

My best friend and her 2 kids came over for Easter dinner. (I think my Mom has given up on me having kids so she is adopting my friend’s kids and spoiling them rotten – it’s a win win for everyone) The boys are 7 and 9 and I have really become very fond of them…..oh, hell – I love the little rug rats! My friend (We’ll call her “A”) and the boys father are divorced so the boys have split homes (1 week w/ A, the other with Dad)which can not be easy on them but it means that they have 2 separate forms of upbringing. The older seems to have a good maturity level and understands what to say and what not to say. The younger is a completely different story – the filter that most people have that tells them what is OK to say and what is not is completely gone! He has what I like to call VERBAL VOMIT – If it pops in his head, he will say it no matter what! They got to the house, we had all of our greetings and the boys gave Mom and me flowers. (How sweet, I know!!). We sat around talking while the boys played on Mom’s “play” laptop and watched videos on YouTube. A went into the kitchen with Mom for a few minutes and I sat I in the living room while they went thru the candy that Mom had given them for Easter. As the younger boy sat at the coffee table looking thru his candy, he said to me “No candy for you! Looks like you’ve had too much already so you can’t have anymore!” I wish that I could say that I was shocked and horrified by this statement but I wasn’t. I have gotten use to him making these little comments here and there but it made me think, once the wave of shock/humiliation/anger wore off, about why do some people think that this is OK. Now, he is 7 and is the product of his environment so his primary caregiver (He has lived with his father for the last 3 years while his Mom was in school)
is primarily to blame so I give him a little slack but does that make it OK for him to feel like it is OK for him to blurt out anything he wants? I don’t think so! And how do you deal with that? I don’t want to do what I may do with an adult and tell him to go to hell and leave because that is just wrong but he can’t be led to believe that this behavior is acceptable but it isn’t my place to correct him. It was a holiday and I really didn’t want to say anything but that phrase stuck with me all evening. In the past, when he has said these things in front of his Mom, she was embarrassed but I hate that because it isn’t her fault. I am sure that there is no talking to Daddy Dearest about this sort of thing because he has played a role in how the little one sees people. One day he will open his little mouth to the wrong person and he will not like what he gets…… I hope that person isn’t me but it may be of he keeps it up!

0 comments: