Old Navy "Super Modelquins"

What the heck is going on at Old Navy? Have you seen these ridiculous new commercials?
I have always been a fan of Old Navy. They have great purses and winter wear and hoodies and sweaters but these commercials are a bit ridiculous. What the heck are they trying to say to the American Public? You have to be shaped like a mannequin to wear our clothes? Their commercials use to be fun and a little kooky but these are almost insulting to a majority of the American public who are considered OVERWEIGHT or LARGE. A bunch of mannequins talking about their butt’s…… a male mannequin asking a female mannequin to marry him? Since when do we need a storyline for the mannequins? It’s bad enough that the mannequins in the stores are NOTHING LIKE real people but now they have to have a storyline so we can get to know them better. I don’t feel a need to get to know these unrealistic plastic dolls! Why can’t we have mannequins that look like REAL people? You Know, big hips, flat butt, thick thighs, flat chest, etc. It would make me more likely to shop in stores rather than avoid stores like the plague like I do now. Oh well, I guess I will be limiting my Old Navy shopping for a while.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, but I've pretty much loathed every ad campaign that they've ever had.

.. not that it stops me from shopping there.

Anonymous said...

I hate them.

HATE.

Then again, I've pretty much loathed every single Old Navy ad campaign so far.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about that campaign myself and how much I preferred the Old navy spots from recent years so much more. I think that animated mannequins are perhaps a cheaper way to create an ad than using live talent. In these tough times, perhaps that had something to do with it -- also the popularity of The Sims, etc? just a thought.

Anonymous said...

For real? You're ranting over this? I'm a marketing student and this is what you'd consider a well done, class A campaign. It's well thoughtout and returns back to the campy roots that Old Navy was known for. And so far, the hype has created killer sales that have made up for the big 17% drop they hit last year when they reworked their market to college students. Each of the mannequins are made form a different mold with different curves, bust sizes, waist sizes, faces and shapes based on the main groups of consumers Old Navy has. If all you have to complain about is how they don't have plus sized mannequins then I feel sorry for you. And this is coming from a hefty guy. In case you didn't know, Old Navy is now catering to the plus size and big and tall market online with special sizes and styles, so don't act like they only care about stick figure people.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been able to find anything in old navy that fits me since I had my kids. UGH! I hate old navy now. Used to love them cause they were so reasonably priced and I could fit in their clothes. Forget it now! UGH! Hugs, Z~

The Fat Chick said...

Now, now Mr Marketing Student,you missed my point.... and why should plus sized women (and men) have to shop online? Shouldn't we be able to shop in the store too?

Anonymous said...

You don't HAVE to shop online, but if people weren't so overweight they wouldn't have issues finding clothes in normal stores. Not trying to be a bitch or anything.....

The Fat Chick said...

Now, Now... no need to be rude or a bitch (as you said). You are missing the point. Most of the women in this country are overweight so a comment like that is not just directed at me but EVERY OTHER OVERWEIGHT WOMEN IN THIS COUNTRY.